1. Rinse the mussels under cold running water while scrubbing with a brush. Discard any with broken shells.
2. Heat oil in a 6 to 8-qt stockpot. Sauté the shallot, garlic and thyme to create a base ﬂavor.
3. Add the mussels and toss them around in pot.
4. Add wine, lemon juice, chicken broth and red pepper ﬂakes; cover the pot and steam over medium-high for 5 minutes, until the mussels open.
5. Add in the tomato, parsley and butter. Place lid on the pot, and steam for another minute to soften. Serve with grilled garlic bread and a nice white wine!